Help Establish Our Trolling Policy

When we first began this project, we had hoped that a simple "No trolling" statement would be enough to keep a high level of blogging etiquette between members and on the site. While we have not had any issues on the HBA homepage, and all contributions and comments have been both constructive and respectful, we have unfortunately been alerted by one of your fellow members that they have come under fire by another member in an unprofessional and disrespectful manner through the comments section of their personal blog. We strive to protect all member's freedom of speech, however we also fully support positive interactions on this site and on every other blog whether the blog owner is an HBA member or not.

The question then becomes "Do we issue user infraction warnings and possibly revoke member status for any HBA members that do not follow our zero tolerance trolling policy?" The HBA was not established to act as a police force to regulate people's actions and speech, however we do hope that being a part of this community will foster a greater sense of respect between its members. Joking is all in good fun, but mean-spirited and hateful comments are not helpful ways to show other members support.

Let us know what you think, and anyone that may be reading this that might think this may apply to them, please just be conscious that our words can be hurtful, and that there are real people standing behind each of these online forums that work hard to provide free insightful content online.

-The HBA Staff

HorrorBlips: vote it up!

12 comments:

Honolulu Girl-Suz said...

I think it is a complete waste of your time to have to ‘get involved’ but I cannot tolerate haters and/or people who find it amusing to visit another’s blog, and take the time to write such horrid comments. Your forum is to spread the love among all things horror related, whether that be a book, movie, art, etc.., and if a member of the forum has violated such by being an arseturd, then remove them as a member. Simply my opinion.

The Mike said...

It's definitely a slippery slope. My hope is that each of us has joined this site to show support for each other, and when people are doing the opposite it becomes difficult to accept.

My personal thought is that issues between two members should remain between those bloggers in hopes of a civil resolution. Most of the flare-ups of personal bashing I've witnessed have usually simmered down soon after, and our generally just differences of opinion that someone doesn't deal with appropriately. As I tell the people I work with, we don't have to like each other, but we still have to live together and the only way that's going to work out is if we're able to respect each others' differences.

If something becomes a consistent problem, then I suppose action becomes necessary. But I hope that any of us are mature enough to deal with our problems before they get to that point.

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Trolls are the scum of the Internet. I think that you should do what you have to do in order to keep things positive. Personally I had to destroy my original blog because of a troll that made things so it was no longer enjoyable for anybody. So don't fall for the "itz free speeeeech" cry from the trolls. This isn't a democracy, it's your "home." So the only speech that should be allowed is that which you deem worthy of allowing in your "house."

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Thanks for putting me on the blog roll, BTW. Mine isn't a horror blog, it's a random crap blog. But I am a horror fan. And living with mental illness can be pretty horrific at times.

I Like Horror Movies said...

Were happy to show you the same support CM, I think there are trolls who troll for the love of trolling, and then there are those who just dont know when they are crossing the line between friendly banter and degrading put downs. I am with Mike in the hope that these issues are just small tiffs that will be resolved and forgotten without any cause for intervention.

venoms5 said...

Trolls thrive off attention. Try not to feed the trolls. I've had a few and just the other day I had to disable the feature to allow anonymous comments. It's sad that some individuals have nothing better to do than to sit behind their computer and lob insults or derogatory comments towards someone.

R.D. Penning said...

I usually welcome a good discussion, but I don't really care for trolls. If it is just a disagreement, that's what we have messages and emails for. It doesn't have to be through a comments page, when it can be behind the curtain so-to-speak. It doesn't need to be out in the open where everyone can see it. I do agree that if it were to get out of hand, some action might have to be taken.

Andrea Allison said...

I think everyone has the right to their opinion and not everyone will agree on every subject. However, some are only looking for attention. They stir up trouble for the sake of doing so and anyone who responds to it are only giving them what they seek. In such cases, some course of action should be taken. People can disagree in a civil manner.

Lee Russell said...

If it spills over on to this blog, then take action, but I think the matter should otherwise be resolved between the two parties on their own time. If you have a troll, ignore, block them, whatever. They want attention and the second you respond, they have won.

Anonymous said...

Well, my personal theory would be not to get involved if it's not happening on this blog. Reason: You can't really start policing the entire blogosphere. Trolls exist, they're out there, they're able to be banned from your personal blog should you ever happen to experience one.

Do not respond to the troll, just block them.

Hawanja said...

I happy to see my contribution being used.

*wipes away tear*

I Like Horror Movies said...

This was my third chance to throw it on the site, love the design Hawanja!

HBA MASTER BLOG ROLL